Ride time: 8:15am-8:30pm ( hours)
Miles ridden: 126 on-course + 1 off-course = 127
Total on-course miles covered: 1259
Submitted by sherry on June 25, 2008 – 2:27pm
Racer update about: Felix Wong
Hi, this is Felix Wong calling in at 11:30am on Wednesday, June 25th from Pinedale, WY. Yesterday, I went up Union Pass and I thought I climbed it pretty well but afterwards I was just utterly exhausted. Probably the most tired I’ve been during the entire race. I did press on until 11pm. Camped at a campsite in Bridger National Forest. Had a good nights sleep.
Woke up late today. Started at 8:25am. Feeling good and moving pretty well but because of my late start I’m gonna have to get going. I’ll talk to you later. Bye.
(recorder time: 2008-06-25 12:36:52 EST)
From the Notebook
- Fast: pavement, net downhill until roller coasters.
- Good weather; only rained for three minutes.
- Deer prancing along meadows with hills, cows.
- Reached Miner’s Delight Inn @ 8:30pm in Atlantic City. No drop-ins were allowed, but after talking with Barbara & Bob (the owners), they let me stay. They had a soft spot for cyclists and just preferred not to have to accommodate hippies and vagrants like the Rainbows.
- Called the Mercantile to ask them to stay open for my arrival. It was located just one mile away but normally closed at 9:00p (?).
- Had a chicken filet sandwich, fries, and potato salad.
- Met Andrew (and Chit) who were going northbound along the Continental Divide (GD MTB route?) on motorcycles. They gave me beta about snow. They met Don and Chris, the guys I met on Lava Mountain in Montana on BMW & Suzuki dual-sport bikes.
- Met a guy from the UK who cycled from Liverpool to Tibet. He was hiking the Great Divide Trail.
- Bob & Barbara met Colby and Angie (from Boulder, CO whom I met at Flagg Ranch a couple days earlier). They stayed at the MIner’s Delight Inn.
- Fixed my LED lights inside the room using string. The LED light’s bracket had broken and the lights would sometimes fly off.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider receiving my weekly newsletter. I typically write about endurance bicycling, world travel, self improvement, Colorado living, marathon running, and epic adventures.
Articles related to Tour Divide: Day 13
- Other posts about Tour Divide