Ride time: 8:15am-11:00pm (14.8 hours)
Miles ridden: 109 on-course + 1 off-course = 110
Total on-course miles covered: 732
Submitted by sherry on June 18, 2008 – 2:31pm
Racer update about: Felix Wong
Hi, this is Felix Wong calling on Wednesday, June 18th at about 1:30. I’m finally in Ovando, MT.
Monday and Tuesday were pretty tough for me. Monday I was starting to finally feel pretty fatigued. I think I wasn’t intaking enough salt. But I solved that my consuming a can of chili beans and potato chips.
Started to feel better but then Tuesday, MAN, first there were downed trees everywhere. I had to dismount my bike about 100 times and at times even throw my bike over a tree, then scale the trees like it was a rock climbing wall or something.
Then there was all of the snow on the Pass. It was a snowfield, very exposed. I even had to kick steps like in mountaineering. Pretty unsafe up there. I hope that if there is anyone behind me, I hope they are careful. It was pretty hairy. A very __ traverse.
Anyway, I hope to make it up Huckleberry Pass today and get to Lincoln by tonight or tomorrow morning. I’ll call back in a couple of days.
From the Notebook
- Great climbing up Huckleberry Pass, Great Divide Crossing #1. No snow.
- Ate lunch in Ovando (after stopping for groceries at store across the street).
- Talked with Tori on phone. She reported that ~11 people were in front of me and four behind.
- She said that Andy Buchanan was sick with the flu and withdrew, and that Kevin Hall stopped in Whitefish as expected. Adrian Stingaciu was the next rider ahead of me.
- Person in Ovando told me there would be about one mile of snow on Huckleberry Pass. Fortunately, this information was wrong.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider receiving my weekly newsletter. I typically write about endurance bicycling, travel, self improvement, Colorado living, marathon running and epic adventures.
Articles related to Tour Divide: Day 06
- Other posts about Tour Divide