Ride time: 6:00am-9:45pm (15.8 hours)
Miles ridden: 99 on-course + 1 off-course = 100
Total on-course miles covered: 287
Submitted by sherry on June 15, 2008 – 11:20am
Racer update about: Felix Wong
Hi this is Felix Wong, calling at about 11:12am on Sunday, June 15th. I just wanted to report that I crossed the US/Canadian Border at about 10:00am. It took me one minute to get across. It helped that there were other riders that came by before me.
Other than that, I’m feeling well. I’ve been riding very conservatively for the last few days. My legs are still pretty fresh. I will probably check in in a couple of days or so. OK, bye.
From the Notebook
- Rode with Kevin Hall until five miles from the Canada-US border. He passed when I removed clothing along the side of the road.
- Duty-free station at border: Used bathroom, shaved and bought a pair of socks.
- Eureka, Montana: bought Subway, called MTBCast, Mom & Dad, laoded up on food and water.
- Pass 1: a little snow
- Old couple in Suzuki Sidekick: “Where are you headed?” My answer: “Mexico.”
- Couple told me that at the left fork (which turned out not to be the fork I need to take), there was lots of snow and rockfall.
- Pass 2: Snow! Hike-a-bike for couple miles. Then after >1 hour of this, I heard a noise that I thought might have been a bear, but it turned out to be Kevin in his tent! He pointed out a small section near him (by a snow-covered frozen lake) that did not have snow for where I could pitch my tent.
- Unfortunately, Kevin was talking about abandoning once he got to Whitefish, Montana, for personal reasons (interview for a school principal position; family). He was going to sleep in until at least 6:30am whereas I planned on waking up at 4:30am or 4:45 to get an early start on more hike-a-bike across snow. It would be the last time I’d see Kevin as he did quit the race in Whitefish after all.