Ride time: 4:50am-9:50pm (17 hours)
Miles ridden: 103 on-course + 4 off-course = 107
Total on-course miles covered: 390
Submitted by sherry on June 16, 2008 – 10:04am
Racer update about: Felix Wong
Hi, this is Felix Wong, calling on Monday, June 16th at 9:30. I’m calling from Whitefish, Montana.
Let me just tell you that yesterday was an absolutely epic day. First of all there was a 25-mile climb. Thankful goodness there was not any snow on that but then the second climb, there was about two feet of snow and it was absolutely impassable by anything but human feet or maybe grizzly bears if they are dumb enough to go up there.
I got there at about 10:00pm and that is where I encountered Kevin Hall. He was in his tent by Red Meadow Lake. That was probably the highlight of the day for me and I woke up at 4:30am this morning and hiked the rest of that section. Rode down to Whitefish.
I hope that today is a little bit of an easier day, but we’ll see. My legs are feeling pretty good so I am encouraged by that. Other than that I’ll probably call tomorrow or the next day. Have a good one. Bye.
From the Notebook
- After waking up at 4:25am, I wished Kevin Hall good luck and that I hoped to see him later. It was a little sad, though, because I doubted I would.
- Grocery stop #1: Whitefish
- Grocery stop #2: Store in Swan River. Convenience store just opened.
- Fatigued for first time: needed salt? Ate salt and vinegar chips and a can of chili chased by some water, and felt better.
- Saw rabbits; white-tailed deer.
- First having problems on rollers, then a six-mile climb. Walked a lot “for Kevin and I.”
- White pine & Douglas fir.
- Potholes galore, about two-feet in diameter!
- Fallen trees everywhere.
- Saw no one all day except at food stops.
- Got text message from Tori and voicemail from Venus.
- Camped by river after getting off course.