The night before boarding a plane to Shanghai, I made a point to watch the movie Shanghai Calling. It really put me in the mood for being in the foreign city, just as watching Midnight in Paris did before going to Paris last year.
So now I am compiling a list of recommended movies to watch before or after going to various places. I will be adding to this list in the future.
- Barcelona, Spain: Vicky Cristina Barcelona. (Photo above is of Park Güell in Barcelona.)
- Berkeley, California: The Graduate
- Camino Santiago Trail, Spain: The Way
- Central California (Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, etc.): Sideways
- Eugene, Oregon: Prefontaine, Without Limits
- Huangshan, China: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
- London, England: Notting Hill (especially if you are going to visit Notting Hill in London, which you should do)
- Modesto, California: American Graffiti
- Paris, France: Midnight in Paris; Moulin Rouge*
- Provence, France: A Good Year
- Shanghai, China: Shanghai Calling
- South America (various countries): The Motorcycle Diaries
- Tokyo, Japan: Lost in Translation
- Tuscany, Italy: Under the Tuscan Sun*
*I have not seen this yet so not sure if I can recommend it.
Please leave a comment below if you have other movie recommendations related to travel destinations.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider receiving my weekly newsletter. I typically write about endurance bicycling, world travel, self improvement, Colorado living, marathon running, and epic adventures.
Articles related to Travel Destination Movies
- Other posts about Travel