Tour Divide: Day 06
Ride time: 8:15 a.m.-11:00 p.m. (14.8 hours)
Miles ridden: 109 on-course + 1 off-course = 110
Total on-course miles covered: 732
Felix Wong in Ovando after 2 Tough Days
Submitted by sherry on June 18, 2008 – 2:31 p.m.
Racer update about: Felix Wong
Hi, this is Felix Wong calling on Wednesday, June 18th at about 1:30. I’m finally in Ovando, MT.
Monday and Tuesday were pretty tough for me. Monday I was starting to finally feel pretty fatigued. I think I wasn’t intaking enough salt. But I solved that my consuming a can of chili beans and potato chips.
Started to feel better but then Tuesday, MAN, first there were downed trees everywhere. I had to dismount my bike about 100 times and at times even throw my bike over a tree, then scale the trees like it was a rock climbing wall or something.
Then there was all of the snow on the Pass. It was a snowfield, very exposed. I even had to kick steps like in mountaineering. Pretty unsafe up there. I hope that if there is anyone behind me, I hope they are careful. It was pretty hairy. A very __ traverse.
Anyway, I hope to make it up Huckleberry Pass today and get to Lincoln by tonight or tomorrow morning. I’ll call back in a couple of days.
From the Notebook
- Great climbing up Huckleberry Pass, Great Divide Crossing #1. No snow.
- Ate lunch in Ovando (after stopping for groceries at store across the street).
- Talked with Tori on phone. She reported that ~11 people were in front of me and four behind.
- She said that Andy Buchanan was sick with the flu and withdrew, and that Kevin Hall stopped in Whitefish as expected. Adrian Stingaciu was the next rider ahead of me.
- Person in Ovando told me there would be about one mile of snow on Huckleberry Pass. Fortunately, this information was wrong.