Ride time: 9:15 a.m.-12:00 a.m. (14.8 hours)
Miles ridden: 98 on-course + 2 off-course = 100
Total on-course miles covered: 1491
From the Notebook
- Breakfast at Economy Inn, where I stayed last night.
- Flat tire- pre-existing pinhole.
- Eight miles of road construction.
- Encountered a man named Adam after highway, but before Medicine Bow Forest. He was from the UK, and heading northbound on a Cannondale with panniers. He had to arrive in Vancouver, BC by August 6th and then catch a Seattle-to-? flight.
- Medicine Bow Forest: beautiful!
- Lots of steep, short rollers on gravel.
- Aspen Alley: gorgeous! Spent a bit of time here taking photos.
- Entered Colorado: beautiful but with some mosquitoes.
- 9:00 p.m.: passed by a mountain lodge where a woman named Kirsten said in darkness, “I’ve been waiting for you.” She had been following the race online.
- She invited me in and filled up my water bottles. We talked for about 20 minutes.
- I continued on to primitive campsite 11 miles down the road from Kirsten’s lodge. Set up tent at midnight.
Photos by Felix Wong are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.