Davis Double Century
I guess I did not enjoy doing the Davis Double this year. Part of the reason was doing this double century for the third year in a row, so the scenery was nothing new. However, there were other factors. This is what I wrote to a friend in an email the following day:
My 200-mile ride in Davis was hell again! This time we had to deal with frigid temps, obnoxious headwinds and RAIN! I guess it was better than dealing with 105 F heat last year but not much. I also hurt my ankle again. I think that will be my last double century for a long time cuz it has ceased to be much fun… believe it or not, I am not *that* much of a masochist!
After this experience, never did I think I would be doing the event for a fourth year in a row, nor that I would immensely enjoy it. But I did do it again in 1999.
- 197 mi, through Solano and Napa Counties
- 13.5 mph, moving average
- 15.8 hours overall; 5:10-21:00. This is 1:20 more than my 1996 time but 1:00 less than my 1997 time.
- max speed: 43.5 mph
- food tally: tons of water, granola bars, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and cookies!
- favorite treat: chicken noodle soup (as always in Davis), 35 mi from the finish
- Scenery: 1+. It’s boring except for in the
- Support/Organization: 4-
- Food: 4. Generally good, especially the chicken noodle soup!.
- Relative difficulty: 3+ Cold, wet, and *windy*!
- Overall rating: 2