Yes, I know I have been a terrible blogger lately. But for good reason—I was in California for a quick visit, most notably to celebrate a friend’s birthday in Monterey. Some highlights of the trip:
- Going kayaking among the sea otters with Cherie, Chris, Donna, John, Michele, Tim, and Tori in Monterey. We were on the water for about four hours, including having a serene group lunch.
- Staying at a posh hotel (the Portola Plaza) with super comfy beds, a pool and hot tub. Remarkably, despite having the most comfortable beds I’ve ever slept on, most of the others got very little sleep due to 1) a Friday night party that somehow I didn’t hear (sound sleeper), 2) seagulls that would let out primordial screams at, say, 4:00 a.m., and 3) other patrons yapping on their cell phones on the balconies, including a guy who yelled on his phone at 6:00 a.m., “I’m calling you from the balcony so that I wouldn’t disturb anyone…”
- A scrumptious group dinner for Tori’s b-day at Montrio Bistro that ended up costing $90/head. “This is quite different than our $1.75 meals in Panama, huh?” Tori later asked me that night. Well, it really was a gorgeous dinner and I guess once a year is okay, especially for one of my best friends…
- Getting to know Michele better and being her carpool/weekend hangout buddy.
- Lisa taking me out to lunch at a chocolate factory for my birthday (which just so happens to be the day before Tori’s), and then Sarah taking me out to an Indian dinner later that evening. Thanks!
Unfortunately I forgot to bring a camera for most of these things (ironic considering how both Tori and my dad gave me new digital cameras a month ago as early b-day presents) so I have no photos aside from the ones shown on this page. Some of the others took photos but it seems to take them quite a while to post them (hint hint, Tori!)
I also apologize to all of my other friends in the Bay Area I could not visit this time. Due to the time constraints I could only spend time in one quadrant of the bay (mostly the East Bay) and missed virtually every one of you on the peninsula. Well, next time!
Update 7/25/07: Cherie has posted photos from Monterey. Hooray!