Logbook entries for the ’03 Buell Blast.
- February 3, 2008 (Sun): Put a deposit on the Buell Blast. Mileage: 1,711.
- February 16, 2008 (Sat): Beth delivers Buell into my garage from Boulder after I replace the spark plug with a new, hotter one (Harley-Davidson #6R12). The hotter plug was recommended by the local H-D dealership due to the Colorado altitude. Mileage: 1,764.
- April 15, 2008 (Tue): Purchase new left turn signal assembly from Greeley Harley-Davidson, and install a few weeks later. Mileage: ~1,900.
- April 21, 2009 (Tue): Switched over to synthetic oil (2 quarts Motorex Power Synt 4T 5W-50) and changed filter (Car Quest 85394 = Wix 54394), in preparation for the Colorado-Oklahoma road trip, even though oil change wasn’t necessary until 5k miles. Mileage: 2,521.
- April 21, 2009 (Tue): Completed 2,500 mile service. See printed Buell Blast service checklist for details. Mileage: 2,521.
- April 27, 2009 (Mon): In Arnett, TX, discover that the two #10-32 screws holding the fuel shutoff valve had vibrated loose and dropped out. Trevor of Arnett helps me locate and install new ones. Mileage: ~3,800.
- May 1, 2009 (Fri): Replaced the fuel shutoff screws with two #10-32 X 3/4″ pan-head (Phillips) screws using Teflon tape and lock washers to prevent them from vibrating loose again. Mileage: 4,156.
- September 3, 2009 (Thu): On the way home from south Fort Collins, bike stalled at Horsetooth/Taft Hill Rd. after riding ~2 miles in dark. Battery was completely dead. Tori came to rescue me and I brought the battery home with me for a battery recharge. Brought battery back to the bike the next morning, installed it, and started right up. Theory: had turned the ignition to the accessories position and left it there for 2 hours, discharging the battery. Mileage: ~4,700.
- September 17, 2009 (Thu): Replaced handlebars with Bikemaster Superbike chrome handlebars (cut 1.5″ from each end). Used Loctite on all bolts. Also bonded fly shield to rubber stop (located on top of speedometer) with silicone to prevent vibration. Mileage: 4,824.
- October 7, 2009 Wed: Registered Dunlop original tires in case of recall.
- October 7, 2009 Wed: Changed engine oil (Mobil 1 10W-40) and filter (Bosch 3311—using this instead of Wix since it is black). Mileage: 5,066.
- October 8, 2009 Thu: Installed chrome bar-end mirrors (Volar Motorsport Item #M040). Mileage: 5,066.
- October 8, 2009 Thu: Completed 5,000-mile service: Adjusted clutch, changed primary oil (Mobil 1 20W-50) and adjusted primary chain. Mileage: 5,066.
- October 9, 2009 Fri: Brought in the rear tire to Sangers Cycle to install new rear tire (OEM, Dunlop K330 120/80-16). $76.99 for tire from Motorcycle Superstore + $34 install at Sangers Cycles. Mileage: 5,066.
- October 9, 2009 Fri: Painted exhaust with Rustoleum High Heat (1000 deg. F) satin black paint (brush-on). Mileage: 5,066.
- July 1, 2011 Fri: Changed engine oil (Mobil 1 10W-40) and filter (Bosch 3311). Mileage: 7,545.
- July 5, 2011 Wed: Completed 7,500-mile service, including primary chain adjustment. (Method: tightened primary chain bolt until it hit chain, then backed off 5 flats.) Mileage: 7,558.
- May 19, 2012 Sat: Replaced front tire with Pirelli Diablo Scooter 110/70-16 at Sangers Cycles. Also had Sangers replace the front fork seals with an All Balls Racing Fork Seals & Dust Wipers kit I purchased off ebay, since the existing seals on the right fork leg was leaking. The All Balls Racing seals are supposed to have less stiction and last three times longer. Mileage: 8,508.
- July 5, 2012 Thu: Installed new rear reflector below license plate to replace the one that was lost (stolen?). Mileage: 8,806.
- July 12, 2012 Sat: Replaced rear tire with Pirelli ST66 140/70-16. Mileage: 8,886.
- November 29, 2012 Thu: Was going to run errands on the motorcycle, squeezed the clutch lever, and the clutch cable broke. Glad this happened in the garage and not on the road. Mileage: 9,658.
- March 14, 2013 Thu: Tried installing new clutch cable, but over-torqued threaded cylinder that screws into transmission cover and broke it. Had to order new cable.
- March 21, 2013 Thu: Installed second new clutch cable. Also changed transmission oil with exactly one quart of Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 synthetic, and engine oil and filter with 1.95 quarts of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10-40 synthetic and Bosch 3311. Mileage: 9,658.
- September 1, 2013 Sun: Returned from Europe and noticed a screw was sticking out of the front tire. Plugged hole in front tire using tire repair kit.
- June 16, 2014 Mon: Installed new battery: AutoCraft 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Powersport Battery, 220 CCA. Also repaired right front indicator lens, which was already cracked when I bought the motorcycle, using Crazy Glue. Mileage: 11,224.
- September 21, 2014 Sun: Eliminated rattle in right mirror by applying silicone adhesive to the rear of mirror glass and tightening the screw (after applying threadlocker) that secures the mirror glass to mirror body. Mileage: 12,006.
- October 31, 2015 Sat: Started 12,500-mile maintenance. Changed engine oil and filter with 1.95 quarts of Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10-40 synthetic and Bosch 3311. Mileage: 12,642.
- August 21, 2016 Sun: Finished 12,500-mile maintenance. Front tire very low in tire pressure (lost 12 PSI in 6 hours through tire plug repair); added 4 ounces of Slime to front tire (ultimately did not help with leakage). Added brake fluid (DOT4) to get up to minimum mark. Adjusted primary chain (method: loosen primary securing nut all the way down to bolt, loosen and then tighten bolt until hits chain, back off bolt 5 flats, then tighten securing nut). Tightened clutch cable nut at transmission one flat since there was a small amount of transmission oil there. Replaced spark plug with Champion Copper RA8HC (cross-referenced plug for Harley Davidson 6R12) since did not do so at 10,000 as I was supposed to. Bike started quickly and runs very smooth now. Mileage: 13,076.
- July 26, 2018 Thu: Replaced front tire with Pirelli Diablo Scooter 110/70-16. Mileage: 13,577.
- August 24, 2018 Thu: Replaced right front turn signal lens with OEM part Y0039.K. Mileage: 13,764.
- September 26, 2019 Thu: Topped off oil, which was at least 3/8 of a quart down. Mileage: 14,435.
- October 21, 2020 Wed: Rode the Buell for only the second or third time this year. Had to charge battery and then had problems getting it started. Changed the spark plug back to the old Harley-Davidson one, but am pretty sure the real cause was probably being out of gas in the main reservoir and did not think of trying to start the bike using reserve until swapping out the plug. From trip meter, suspect that about 1/4 gallon of gas evaporated in the last 7-8 months since last riding. Topped off with 2.5 gallons of gas today after riding by Horsetooth Reservoir. Mileage: 14,667.
- April 8, 2021 Thu: Replaced old spark plug with new spark plug (Drag Specialties 2103-0196; supposed to be direct replacement for Harley-Davidson 6R12) since the bike was sputtering during 10 miles of riding yesterday. Gapped to 0.041″ (spec: 0.038-0.043″). Night and day difference in rideability after replacing the plug. Mileage: 14,681.
- November 15, 2021 Mon: Last ride on the Buell for 2021 as it snowed two days later. Mileage: 14,919.
- January 19, 2022 Wed: Added 1 ounce of STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabilizer (30 ml, which treats 2.5 gallons of gas) to the tank. Bike had 36 miles since last filled up tank on September 5, 2021. Mileage: 14,919.
- September 13, 2022 Thu: Replaced chrome bar-end mirrors with new black ones. Mileage: 14,919.
- September 17, 2023 Sun: Motor died in Old Town. I could tell there was no spark; turned out the spark plug wire was too loose and now longer grasping on to the spark plug. Walked over to Autozone at 8:30 p.m. (amazingly it is open until 9:00 p.m. on Sunday) and was able to buy a spark plug wire, albeit one that was too long, for $1.25. But since I had flooded the engine, I couldn’t start it before the battery died. Took a Lyft home and the next day went back with my car and replaced the spark plug and jumped the battery with a portable battery pack. Rode the motorcycle home. Mileage: 14,987.
- November 19-20, 2023 Sun-Mon: Performed 15,000-mile service, including changed transmission oil (Mobile 1 20/50W Synthetic), engine oil and filter (Mobile 1 10/40W Synthetic) Bosch 3311). Also replaced spark plug and cable with Harley-Davidson 6R12 and 10″, 8.8mm cable. Issues found: airbox had a lot of gasoline in it, a result of the September engine flooding episode; missing lower front bolt for exhaust (must have forgotten to replace it when I last removed it); screw holding rear brake pedal was loose; brake fluid for the rear (never had checked it before) was at the “low” mark; air filter should be replaced. Remedied all those issues during this service except for the air filter (ordered a K&N replacement). Mileage: 14,992.
- November 22, 2023 Wed: Had almost no gas, so went to nearest gas station to fill. Ran out of gas just as I was pulling into parking lot and foot-shuffled the Buell 50 meters to a Valero gas pump Fred Flintstone-style. Added 2.3 gallons of 91-octane (chose not to top off the tank completely). Mileage: 14,996.