Logbook entries for the ’01 Audi TT Roadster Quattro.
- November 13, 2008 (Thu): Dealer Forest Faulknor had Bo’s Imports of Hayward, CA replace the water pump, timing belt, and engine coolant. Receipt shows cost for this was $380 for labor and $170 for parts. Mileage: 67,832.
- January 2, 2009 (Fri): Took possession of the Audi TT Roadster Quattro in San Jose. Windshield reservoir warning icon was on so filled that with some windshield washer fluid acquired at Kragen in San Jose. Successfully used onboard GPS unit to get to Tori’s. Mileage at possession: 68,350.
- January 3-4, 2009 (Sat-Sun): Drive home from CA to Fort Collins, stopping in Salt Lake City overnight. Only glitch is that the windshield fluid froze (rated to only 32 degrees) as it got as cold as -18F outside. Considering how quickly I ran out of fluid I suspect some sort of leak.
- February 23, 2009 (Mon): Successful created and loaded NAV-TEQ C-Navi CD #2 (with info for midwestern states including CO) from image files sent by Alexander.
- February 25, 2009 (Wed): Teeter is properly registered in CO with Elaina’s RCKNSOL plates. Previously had to get temporary license due to waiting for Forrest Faulkner needing to send a notarized Statement of Fact to clear up confusion on title. Mileage: ~70,600.
- September 30, 2009 (Wed): Replaced hazard light switch part number 8N0-941-509-B (with the old one, part number 8N0-941-509-A, turn signals started working only intermittently and erratically). Followed Audi TT hazard light switch replacement instructions. Mileage: 73,288.
- October 1, 2009 (Thu): Checked for leak in windshield washer reservoir, which entailed removing the front left side wheel well cover. Conclusion: no leak. Topped off reservoir with 1 gallon of Prestone De-Icer -34deg windshield washer fluid. Mileage: 73288.
- October 1, 2009 (Thu): Synthetic oil change at Grease Monkey. Used Mobil 1 5W30. $57.93. Mileage: 73,292.
- October 2, 2009 (Fri): Fixed glove box handle so that it would be more flush. Required filing/grinding of plastic tab behind handle, and also some enlarging (grinding with Dremel) of the hole that the glove box latch “plunger” inserted into upon closing. Mileage: 73,296.
- October 6, 2009 (Tue): Brake fluid flush and tire rotation by Just Brakes. $53.76. Just brakes recommended 1) replacement of rear shocks since some cupping on inside of rear tires evident; 2) replacement of strut bushings up front—they say the bushings are compressed as evidence by top of struts protruding out from top of towers a little; 3) strut replacement (not critical yet) since probably approaching end of their life. Mileage: 73,423.
- October 6, 2009 (Tue): Plugged tire punctures (two) caused by nails in right front tire (was right rear tire before tire rotation). Location of both plugs are in grooves in tread (not sidewall) roughly aligning between the ‘S’ and ‘4’ in ‘PROXES4’ lettering on sidewall. Mileage: 73,335.
- October 7, 2009 (Wed): Completed 70K service (see checklist). Mileage:73,443.
- October 7, 2009 (Wed): Registered Toyo tires in case of recall.
- November 6, 2009 (Fri): Replaced front left marker light. Halogen bulb WPC Y400169893OES.
- May 13, 2010 (Thu): Flying rock cracked center of windshield (about the size of a silver dollar) on the way to the Denver airport.
- May 18, 2010 (Tue): Due to low-gas condition, car misfired on startup and check engine light went on. Since no misfiring occurred after, the check engine light went off after exactly three drive cycles.
- May 18, 2010 (Tue): Had Novus Glass of Fort Collins repair windshield crack for $45. Mileage: 78,168.
- May 19, 2010 (Wed): A/C servicing by Fort Collins Foreign Car Service. They needed to replace the high pressure switch in addition to adding 134a Freon and A/C oil with dye. Mileage: 78,196.
- May 20, 2010 (Thu): Washed and waxed car with Permaseal Wax. Mileage: 78,201.
- June 20, 2010 (Sun): Check engine light went on while driving with Leah to Berthoud to look at a Hyundai for her. Ordered a code checker from Asia a few days later. Mileage: ~78,900.
- July 13, 2010 (Tue): Replaced key fob batteries (quantity 2 of size CR1620). Activated key fob by sticking key in door, turning it and then pressing a button on the fob. Now can lock or unlock the doors from 40 feet away instead of 3. Mileage: 79,120.
- July 19, 2010 (Mon): Checked and cleared engine codes. Three error codes were present: 17536 (Long term fuel trim-system too lean – Bank 1); 17521 (Bank 1 heated oxygen sensor internal resistance too high); 17536 (again).
- August 1, 2010 (Sun): Check engine light came on again. This time there were two codes: 17832 (Secondary Air Injection System [Bank 1] – Leak Detected, MIL Triggered on second occurrence) and 17536 (Long term fuel trim-system too lean – Bank 1). Cleared them. Mileage: 79,252.
- August 28, 2010 (Sat): Check engine light came on again. Same two codes again: 17832 (Secondary Air Injection System [Bank 1] – Leak Detected, MIL Triggered on second occurrence) and 17536 (Long term fuel trim-system too lean – Bank 1). Cleared them. Mileage: ~79,450.
- September 2, 2010 (Thu): Cleaned Mass Air Flow sensor. Mounted front license plate. Mileage: ~79,550.
- October 19, 2010 (Tue): Synthetic oil change (Mobil 1, 0w-40 [supposedly superseded 5w-40 according to the technician]) at C&T Automotive. Mileage: 80,104.
- November 20, 2010 (Sat): Washed and waxed car with Permaseal Wax. Mileage: 80,505.
- January 28, 2011 (Fri): Did most of 80K service (see checklist), but still need to replace air filter, cabin charcoal filter, spark plugs, and Haldex clutch oil and filter. Mileage: 81,650.
- February 16, 2011 (Wed): Replaced air and cabin charcoal filters (Mann C37153/1 & CUK2862). Mileage: 82,054.
- March 28, 2011 (Mon): Replaced the spark plugs with NGK BKR6E V-groove resistor type plugs gapped at .032″. Former plugs were NGK PFR6Q; they were all remarkably clean when I pulled them and seemed to be gapped at .030″. Mileage: 82,410.
- April 20, 2011 (Wed): Had Fort Collins Foreign Car Service replace the rear differential Haldex fluid and filter and serpentine belt as the final part of the Audi’s 80,000-mile service. The shop also diagnosed the source of the washer fluid leak—left headlight washer has a busted check valve that would need to be replaced. Mileage: 82,742.
- April 21, 2011 (Thu): Had Manhattan Auto Spa do a complete interior and exterior detailing using a Living Social $64 voucher. Also paid $50 extra to try to buff out the long scratch on the right-side door and hood that were on the car when I bought it. The scratches could not be eliminated but now look less noticeable. Mileage: 82,757.
- October 29, 2011 (Sat): Check engine light went on. Engine code: 17536 (Long term fuel trim-system too lean – Bank 1). Maybe the Mass Air Flow Sensor needs to be cleaned again? Mileage: <85,000.
- November 25, 2011 (Fri): Synthetic oil change (Mobil 1 5W30) at Grease Monkey. Mileage: 85,250.
- November 25, 2011 (Fri): Check engine light went on again, this time while driving back form Boulder. Engine code: 17536 (Long term fuel trim-system too lean – Bank 1). Mileage: ~85,320.
- February 1, 2012 (Wed): Waxed car with Permaseal Wax. Mileage: ~86,600.
- March 1, 2012 (Thu): Replaced front right side halogen light (Car Quest # WPC 4B100228353OSR). Mileage: 87,191.
- April 12, 2012 (Thu): Replaced battery with Interstate ML-47 75-month battery (590 CCA, 740CA). Old battery was the same model (albeit not with a green top), but went dead after 65 months (was from November 2006). Pro-rata warranty only saved $0.20. When disconnected battery, one-touch convenience of windows was not working, but followed instructions in owner’s manual to get them to work (raise windows all the way up, then hold window switch up for 1 second). Mileage: 87,606.
- April 13, 2012 (Fri): Brake fluid flush and tire rotation by Just Brakes. Mileage: 87,628.
- April, May or June, 2012: One evening with Kelly, pinched off the windshield washer fluid line leading to the left headlamp washer, which was confirmed by Fort Collins Foreign Car Service last year to be leaking. Fix was successful.
- July 6, 2012 (Fri): Got duplicate key cut ($35 at Lock Safe Systems) and programmed duplicate remote key fob myself. Blank and fob was $61.99 from YourKeylessRemote. Mileage: 89,040.
- August 3, 2012 (Fri): Waxed car with Permaseal “Lazy Man’s” wax. Mileage: 89,379.
- September 6, 2012 (Thu): Got 4 new tires (Hankook Ventus V2 Concept H437 225/45R17XL 94V DSB) installed. Mileage: 89,604.
- October 20, 2012 (Sat): Full-service synthetic oil change at Grease Monkey using Mobil 1 5/30 synthetic oil. Mileage: 90,509.
- November 25, 2013 (Mon): New Interstate battery exchange (one from April 2012 no longer would hold a charge for more than a few days). $0. Mileage: 95,147.
- December 14, 2013 (Sat): Full-service synthetic oil change at Grease Monkey using Mobil 1 5/30 synthetic oil. Mileage: 95,663.
- Note: waxed car twice in 2013 with Permaseal, but forgot to note here when. Think it was April and September.
- April 18, 2014 (Fri): Washed and waxed using Permaseal. Mileage: 97,720.
- May 27, 2014 (Tue): Repaired 6″ windshield crack at Cracks & Chips Windshield Repair. Mileage: 98,234.
- June 14, 2014 (Sat): Replaced wiper blades with Bosch 41921 Excel+ 21″. Mileage: 98,387.
- July 28, 2014 (Mon): Brought battery into Interstate Battery for testing, since three times already I was caught without power upon startup. (At least one of those times was due to leaving interior light on, but the other one or two times was after not driving for a week or more.) Interstate said the battery was fine and just needed to be charged more, like overnight at low amperage.
- September 4, 2014 (Thu): Installed Battery Brain (Bronze edition) which will automatically disconnect battery if voltage drops below 11.8V for 30 seconds. Successfully tested by leaving lights and radio on with car off, and the Battery Brain disconnected the battery after less than a minute. Mileage: 98,888.
- December 24, 2014 (Wed): Teeter surpassed 100,000 miles today while driving to the Denver International Airport.
- January 5, 2015 (Mon): Engine flush (with BG 109) and full-service synthetic oil change (Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic as usual) by Grease Monkey. Mileage: 100,158.
- January 5, 2015 (Mon): Tire rotation by Discount Tire. Mileage: 100,159.
- January 5, 2015 (Mon): Replaced cabin charcoal filter
with Mann CUK 2862. Mileage: 100,163.
- January 7, 2015 (Fri): Had Fort Collins Foreign Car Service replace the rear differential Haldex fluid and filter and brake fluid. 100,000-mile service is now complete. Mileage: 100,222.
- February 3, 2015 (Tue): Passed Colorado emissions test. Mileage: 100,570.
- August 15, 2015 (Fri): Installed magnetic phone mount. Mileage: 103,500.
- October 26, 2015 (Mon): Replaced left front marker bulb (parking light, part number CLB 68161). Mileage: 103,709.
- May 23, 2016 (Mon): Got new replacement battery (MT-47/H5; 5-year) from Interstate Batteries since old one was no longer holding a charge after a few days. Mileage: ~104,700.
- June 2, 2016 (Thu): Fixed left-hand exterior mirror from rattling by applying silicone glue to the rear of it. Mileage: 104,721.
- June 2, 2016 (Thu): Re-glued liner in convertible top bay using Gorilla Glue. Mileage: 104,721.
- June 3, 2016 (Fri): Replaced door switch with Radio Shack SPDT roller mini-switch (275-0017) for left door. Now the car recognizes when the door is open and closed. Mileage: 104,721.
- June 15, 2016 (Wed): Washed and waxed with Permaseal. Mileage: 104,782.
- July 14, 2016 (Thu): Full-service synthetic oil change (Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic as usual) by Grease Monkey. Mileage: 105,005.
- November 15, 2016 (Tue): Washed and waxed with Permaseal. Mileage: 105,679.
- January 20, 2015 (Fri): Passed Colorado emissions test. Mileage: 106,079.
- June 6, 2017 (Tue): Re-tightened the plastic bulb hoder for the right-hand front parking light, since the light was not illuminating again. Works now (bulb was good). Mileage: 107,115.
- June 20, 2017 (Tue): Washed and waxed with Meguiar’s Yellow Wax. Mileage: 107,367.
- August 9, 2017 (Wed): Replaced wiper blades with Bosch Icon 21A and 21B. Mileage: 107,656.
- March 8, 2017 (Thu): Washed and waxed with Meguiar’s Yellow Wax. Finally used up the bottle of #26 Yellow Wax after 22+ years! Mileage: 109,352.
- July 2, 2018 (Mon): Engine flush and full-service synthetic oil change (Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic as usual) by Grease Monkey. Mileage: 110,263.
- July 23, 2018 (Mon): Driver-side rear tire punctured and damaged beyond repair. Ended up replacing all tires because they all had less than 4/32″ tread left. Replace with four new Pirelli Cinturato Strada AS tires which are warrantied to 70,000 miles but other customers generally get about 50,000 miles with. Mileage: 110,552.
- December 28, 2018 (Fri): Replaced battery in key fob since it went dead, and reprogrammed key fob. Procedure: put other key in ignition and turn to “on” without starting car. Put key with replaced battery in driver’s side door lock and turn clockwise to lock. Press unlock button on key fob (with replaced battery) twice (car lights flash with each press). Wait ten seconds and press unlock button again (car unlocks). Key fob is now reprogrammed. Interestingly, this second key fob (with red panic button intact) had only one CR2032 battery, whereas the original one had two CR1620 batteries. Mileage: 112,217.
- February 7, 2019 (Thu): Installed rebuilt instrument cluster that I sent in a month ago to Speedometer Solutions to replace the microprocessor, center LCD display, temperature & fuel gauge stepper motors, and update the software. Also replaced engine temperature sensor. Now, the clock no longer resets upon startup, all lines are visible on the Driver Information Display, and the temperature gauge seems to be calibrated correctly (before it always read too high). Mileage: 112,245.
- May 25, 2019 (Sat): Washed, polished, and waxed car using Turtle Wax Polishing Compound with an orbital buffer and CarGuys Liquid Wax polymer sealant, which is supposed to last one year. Manuel helped out with the waxing. Mileage: 113,140.
- August 30, 2019 (Fri): Rebonded rear window to convertible top using 3M 08682 Single Step Primer, 3M 08609 Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane adhesive, and suction cup clamps. Mileage: 113,922.
- September 2, 2019 (Mon): Fixed the convertible top switch that sensed when the top was up. All I had to do was bend the switch in the header rail a few millimeters towards the left with a flat screw driver. Mileage: 113,952.
- November 6, 2019 (Wed): Installed new engine undertray (splash shield). Completed 110,000-mile service. Re-glued clutch pedal’s plate to clutch pedal. Still have not solved engine codes 17521 & 16795 that have been coming on for the last few months. Mileage: 114,553.
- December 2, 2019 (Mon): Engine oil and filter change (Mobil 1 5W30 and PH252 oil filter) at Grease Monkey. Mileage: 115,040.
- December 4, 2019 (Wed): Waxed windshield with Car Guys Sealant. Mileage: 115,068.
- January 18, 2020 (Sat): Re-secured right rear plastic undertray as it was dangling due to a missing nut and another nut was loose. (Used Loctite on both the loose and replacement nuts.) Rotated tires and re-inflated spare tire to 63 psi (was around 20 psi due to not pumping it up in so long). Removed and cleaned ABS sensors at each wheel, but ABS light still comes on above 45 MPH. Mileage: 116,326.
- February 12, 2020 (Wed): Re-soldered wire to rear defroster. Replaced longitudinal acceleration sensor (OEM part number W0133-2385527) behind glove box so that ABS light no longer comes on. Mileage: 116,929.
- March 13, 2020 (Fri): Noted mileage at end of day/start of nationwide coronavirus quarantine. Mileage: 117,823.
- February 17, 2021 (Wed): Easily passed emissions test again. Mileage: 118,139.
- March 25, 2021 (Thu): First road trip in a year: drove to Rawlins, Wyoming to get Moderna vaccine. Aired up tires (including spare) and checked oil level (still at max). Mileage before trip: 118,163, so basically only drove 340 miles during year-long coronavirus quarantine! (Note: check engine codes 17521 & 16795 has no longer been coming on for some reason.)
- April 8, 2021 (Thu): Re-soldered wire to the rear window defroster (passenger side) again. Mileage: 118,515.
- April 10, 2021 (Sat): Installed another new engine undertray, this time securing with more screws and four metal side clips. Added about a liter of distilled water to the coolant overflow reservoir and now the coolant warning light doesn’t come on upon startup. However, there is a coolant leak that seems to be coming from the vicinity of the green temperature sensor I replaced two years ago. The hose underneath it was wet. Couldn’t determine whether the leak was from the hose itself, the temperature sensor, or something else. Mileage: 118,515.
- April 21-29, 2021 (Wed-Thu): Lots of 120,000-mile service and leak-fixing work done at BG Auto, including: replaced timing belt, water pump, cam tensioner, thermostat & gasket, coolant flange & temp sensor, valve cover and cam tensioner gaskets, PC valve, Haldex oil & filter, engine oil change (5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic), and new coolant. I also had the shop clean and degrease the engine and monitor for oil leaks after the repairs. They explicitly confirmed there weren’t any. Mileage: 118,532.
- May 4, 2021 (Tue): Replaced engine air filter and charcoal cabin air filter (Mann C 37 153 and Mann CUK 2862). Also discovered there’s still a leak at the junction of the coolant temperature sensor housing flange and engine, so will bring car back to BG Auto on Monday. Mileage: 118,545.
- May 5, 2021 (Wed): Check engine light came on with codes 16795, 18010, and 17925. Cleared them and check engine light stayed off. Mileage: 118,546.
- May 11, 2021 (Tue): BG Auto repaired the coolant leak at the coolant temperature sensor housing flange and engine. They said the gasket had ruptured and that they pressure-tested the system after the fix. Mileage: 118,709.
- June 29, 2021 (Tue): Had Fort Collins Foreign Car Service replace the fuel filter with Mann Filter WK 730/1 that I bought last month. Check engine code 16795 has been coming on every few trips shortly after startup. Mileage: 119,603.
- August 26, 2021 (Thu): Replaced hardware for engine undertray with #10 x 3/4″ Phillips button-head sheetmetal screws from Home Depot (placed extras in glove box) so that they all match.
- August 27, 2021 (Fri): Replaced spark plugs with NGK BKR6EIX Iridium spark plugs, thereby completed 120,000-mile maintenance. Tried gapping one new spark plug but broke the electrode, so I went to AutoZone to replace that one. Then I realized that the factory gap of 0.030″ was already good enough. Broke VW PA12 hose for the N249 system so ordered one on eBay. Cleaned mass air flow sensor in airbox. Mileage: 120,175.
- August 30, 2021 (Mon): Fixed glove box latch, which fell out. Used a rivet to act as upper pin for the latch, countersinking it and epoxying it with JB weld. Works much better than before. Also fixed right-side outside mirror, which never worked under my ownership. It was easy to fix: one of the two white, toothed plastic arm that pushes or pulls on the mirror had fallen out of its ball-and-socket joint, so I popped it back in with needle-nose pliers after pulling off the mirror glass from the mirror assembly. Mileage: 120,175.
- August 31, 2021 (Tue): Replaced N249 hose with a white vacuum tube from Ace Hardware (8mm outside diameter, $0.25/foot that I cut to 3.5″ in length). Works perfectly. Mileage: 120,183.
- September 4, 2021 (Sat): Replaced oil filler neck (OEM part #: 06A 103 179 B) and replaced split wire loom conduit on a wire that snakes underneath an approximately 4″-wide ignition part that has a red/white sticker that reads “Danger high voltage, switch off engine before touching ignition system”. Mileage: 120,183.
- September 13, 2021 (Mon): Replaced trunk lid supports with Tuff Support 613439. Mileage: 120,290.
- December 17, 2021 (Fri): Ed Carroll Audi dealership replaced driver’s airbag inflator per recall. The dealership also did a free inspection, which said that the brake pads are getting thin (6mm front; 5mm rear) and should be replaced. Mileage: 121,788.
- January 24, 2022 (Mon): Just realized that the check engine light hasn’t come on since the road trip to Colorado Springs 1.5 months ago. Mileage: 122,201.
- February 3, 2022 (Thu): Put the car on four jack stands, overinflated the tires, and added a full tank of gas + gas stabilizer for storage.
- September 12, 2022 (Mon): On vacation in Fort Collins, I left a light on inside. The battery no longer held a charge and at night downtown, the car would not start. Luckily Andrea and I had just parted ways with Manuel, so he was around to take me to a Walmart to purchase a portable battery pack (Everstart 750) to jump the car. Mileage: ~122,800.
- December 30, 2022: Passed emissions test. Mileage: 122,844.
- December 30, 2022: Oil change at with Mobil 1 5W/30 full synthetic at Grease Monkey. Mileage: 122,867.
- April 14, 2023: Was back in Colorado for the last five weeks. Had used battery tender for the new battery, so the car started right up. Did road trips with Manuel to Estes Park and Boulder. Mileage: 123,699.
- August 14, 2023: While driving down to Broomfield, the air conditioning was not working despite frequent pressing of the Eco button (to turn the a/c compressor on and off). But after I stopped for 10 minutes, restarted the car, and turned a/c on (set to 65F), it sounded like the a/c compressor valve kicked in and the a/c blew nice and cold again.