As of June 2015, the number of consecutive years I’ve ridden at least one double century is 20. I hope to continue this streak for as long as I am physically capable to (barring injury or death, probably five more decades). This seems reasonable to me because one of the minimum fitness standards I have for myself is that I should be able to bike 200 miles on any given day—even without training and if that meant having to ride very slowly—and fulfillment of the goal means doing so just one time each year.
Below is a list of rides I’ve done that in my view “qualifies.” Basically, I count any ride of 195.0 miles (I allow for rounding) or more in which I did not sleep for a significant amount of time at some point during those 195 miles. Right now I will define that as “sleeping more than 20 minutes.”
- 2017: Grand Mesa Double Century
- 2016: Fort Collins-Walden 200 (mountain bike)
- 2015: Rustic 400km Brevet, Fort Collins-Nebraska 200, 11/24 days of the Trans Am Bike Race
- 2014: Black Forest 300km Brevet + 13 miles
- 2013: Fort Collins-Walden 200*, Wellington-Flats 200
- 2012: Fort Collins-Walden 200
- 2011: Colorado Springs 300km Brevet, St. Vrain 400km Brevet, St. Vrain 600km Brevet, Boston-Montreal-Boston, Fort Collins-Walden 200, Furnace Creek 508
- 2010: Peak-to-Peak 300km Brevet + 13 miles.
- 2009: Fort Collins-Walden 200
- 2008: Fort Collins-Nebraska 200
- 2007: RMCC 400km Brevet, RMCC 600km Brevet (I slept in a hotel room during this one but only after the first 400km)
- 2006: Wellington-Carter Lake 200
- 2005: Butterfield, Bay In a Day, Bass Lake Powerhouse
- 2004: Hemet, Mulholland, Mt. Tam, Tour of Two Forests
- 2003: Davis 400K Brevet, Davis 600K Brevet, Paris-Brest-Paris
- 2002: Knoxville Fall Classic, Heartbreak, Death Valley
- 2001: Devil Mountain, Knoxville Fall Classic
- 2000: Solvang, Terrible Two, Knoxville Fall Classic
- 1999: Solvang, Devil Mountain, Central Coast, Davis, Terrible Two
- 1998: Solvang, Davis Double, Eastern Sierra
- 1997: Death Valley, Davis, Grand Tour
- 1996: Davis
*Slept more than 20 minutes so technically not a double century without changing the criteria outlined above.
If you enjoyed this article, please consider receiving my weekly newsletter. I typically write about endurance bicycling, world travel, self improvement, Colorado living, marathon running, and epic adventures.